31 Days - Day 5

Today is Sunday, so the obvious choice is to be thankful for my church.
I started to come to Riverside just 13 years ago - the same time that I moved out to Cambridge. My first introduction to them was Wednesday night bible study. Hettie and I were invited to someone's home for dinner (which we did every Wednesday for a few years) and then went to Jon & Kelley's for the meeting. I tried to sneak in quietly behind Hettie when John yelled across the room 'You must be Jennifer the new secretary for Cornerstone!' I had never met him before but soon found out he was the President of the board. Great introduction
I didn't join right away. It took a good 2 years. During that time everything I believed was challenged and tradition was made clear from biblical truth. It was a hard year but one of great growth spiritually (It wasn't that what I believed before was wrong or that traditions were wrong but coming into a different church setting I had to learn that different wasn't wrong just different).
I have grown to love this church deeply. I know that I am very loved (at least that's what I tell myself as I get teased.... they MUST love me). I am challenged to love the Lord more, to be bold in my faith and trust in the Lord's wisdom.
When I started to have tremors and stuttering (a different manifestation of my migraines) the church was so supportive, encouraging and helpful (except for a few of those who really 'love' me that would startle me just to see me start to shake and stutter).
The leadership in the church is a wonderful group of men who I call my friends and are very godly with a great heart for the church of Christ.
It is a great blessing to be a part of this little piece of the kingdom.
Comments