Forget Not His Benefits

Last night I had a long awaited phone call with a dear brother in Christ.  We had a long conversation about how things have been going at home and work and with everything going on physically and spiritually and I was encouraged to examine my own heart in all areas and see what changes I need to make. 

Some points of the conversation were hard - the self examining ones that really cut to the heart, but isn't that the point of Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"?  Being sharpened hurts - it makes me think of things that I don't want to - like my sin.  But without that cutting away we become dull and what good is a dull sword (or anything that is dull for that matter). 

I have lots to think and pray about - with what to do with work, things at home and my involvement in church.  Thinking of how to make sure that I'm doing what I'm called to do and make sure that I don't take on what I can or shouldn't be taking on.

As we ended the phone call, my friend reminded of me of Psalm 103:2 "Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits".  We are called to be a remembering people - remember what God has taken as from and given us in Christ, remember the goodness of our God, remember that he is in control of all things.

I was reminded of a quote that I have on my desk from a sermon back in 2004 (by J. van Eyk) - one that I look at every day but don't really take it in as I should:

"Look up to where Christ reigns at the right hand of the Father
and where he comes to bring you to the full enjoyment of the priviledges of the children of God.  Hope, hope in what you will have"

So the challange to me (and you if you want to take it) is to "Forget Not His Benefits".  So in starting this, I am thankful for the friendships that God has given - friends who not only say things that are easy to say and hear, but that sharpen me as iron sharpens iron.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog