Another Interesting Week
Just when I thought things were 'normal' again, this week brought other things up.
On Christmas day my right arm started shaking. At first I thought that it was the sign that I had a migrain coming (as my arm often starts to shake before the BIG ONE comes) but after an hour nothing happened. Just shaking. I talked to BA and she thought it might just be a pinched nerve so I didn't think anything else of it. Every other day for the next week it would shake. I went to the chiropractor and he agreed that it might be a pinched nerve and did an adjustment.
The next week it was still shaking and more often. The chiropractor said that he noticed that my right hand was a different colour and colder than the left and said that it looked like my 1st rib was out of place and could be pushing on the nerve. He tried a different (and much more painful adjustment) and said he'd hoped he would have heard a pop, but nothing happened. I went in 3 more times and would get a few hours of relief.
This past Monday I went to see my family doctor. I needed to have some thing replaced that had gotten wrecked in the flood so that was my primary reason to see her. When she saw my hand shaking she got serious. This actually made me a bit aprehensive. She is normally very cheerful and we joke around a lot, but she was very serious. She had a student with her and had him do a neurological assessment (he had to use a cheat sheet because it was his first day - so it was very thorough).
My doc said it was not a pinched nerve and was very concerned. When I had seen her 3 weeks before (and I had a migraine) there were no signs or symptoms of anything going on. She had a friend who was a neurologist and she was going to call in a favour to get me in there quickly. She also said she would have ordered an emergency MRI but didn't think it would be helpful to MRI the whole brain and wasn't sure where to specifically look so she would let him order one. She also sent me for preliminary blood work (preliminary for what I don't know). Before I left she said to watch my face for drooping (as stroke sign) or if there was any other changes to go right to Grand River Hospital because they have a neurologist on call there and if I went anywhere else they would have to call him in.
Ok... so now I'm freaking out... just a bit.
The results from my blood work were fine (except my iron which is always low. When the secretary called me to let me know I just laughed because she was going to tell them to tell me my iron sucked and I'd better get my butt in gear and get it up). My appointment with the neurologist was booked for Thursday afternoon.
So yesterday, Betty Ann came with me and we headed for Grand River Hospital. I was warned that he was a bit odd (most specialist are 'odd' in some way) but very good. Betts helped me fill out my paper work (since with the tremor I have a hard time writing) and we talked a bit while waiting.
Dr. S. brought me in and we talked about a few things and then went on to a much less 'by the book because I have experience' neurological test. He said that he thought the tremor would go away on its own. There was no sign of tumors or anything other medical explaination. He is still ordering an MRI and a nerve test which I'll have even if the tremor stops (just to make sure that everything is working right).
As we were heading home, Betts shared that she had been concerned that it was something (like a brain tumor or MS or a host of other things) but when she saw that my arms had the same strength and I could do all the tests, she knew it was ok. Apparently I also have 'super' reflexes as you hardly have to touch my and I jump... but you don't have to test that when you see me... just take my word for it :).
My fear during this week was that, while I didn't feel anxious about, that it would still manifest itself in a migraine. Thankfully, this has not happened (I thought one was starting last night but it did't turn into anything). Big and small graces to be thankful in this.
So now, hopefully, things will go back to normal again. :)
I have no pain or anything
On Christmas day my right arm started shaking. At first I thought that it was the sign that I had a migrain coming (as my arm often starts to shake before the BIG ONE comes) but after an hour nothing happened. Just shaking. I talked to BA and she thought it might just be a pinched nerve so I didn't think anything else of it. Every other day for the next week it would shake. I went to the chiropractor and he agreed that it might be a pinched nerve and did an adjustment.
The next week it was still shaking and more often. The chiropractor said that he noticed that my right hand was a different colour and colder than the left and said that it looked like my 1st rib was out of place and could be pushing on the nerve. He tried a different (and much more painful adjustment) and said he'd hoped he would have heard a pop, but nothing happened. I went in 3 more times and would get a few hours of relief.
This past Monday I went to see my family doctor. I needed to have some thing replaced that had gotten wrecked in the flood so that was my primary reason to see her. When she saw my hand shaking she got serious. This actually made me a bit aprehensive. She is normally very cheerful and we joke around a lot, but she was very serious. She had a student with her and had him do a neurological assessment (he had to use a cheat sheet because it was his first day - so it was very thorough).
My doc said it was not a pinched nerve and was very concerned. When I had seen her 3 weeks before (and I had a migraine) there were no signs or symptoms of anything going on. She had a friend who was a neurologist and she was going to call in a favour to get me in there quickly. She also said she would have ordered an emergency MRI but didn't think it would be helpful to MRI the whole brain and wasn't sure where to specifically look so she would let him order one. She also sent me for preliminary blood work (preliminary for what I don't know). Before I left she said to watch my face for drooping (as stroke sign) or if there was any other changes to go right to Grand River Hospital because they have a neurologist on call there and if I went anywhere else they would have to call him in.
Ok... so now I'm freaking out... just a bit.
The results from my blood work were fine (except my iron which is always low. When the secretary called me to let me know I just laughed because she was going to tell them to tell me my iron sucked and I'd better get my butt in gear and get it up). My appointment with the neurologist was booked for Thursday afternoon.
So yesterday, Betty Ann came with me and we headed for Grand River Hospital. I was warned that he was a bit odd (most specialist are 'odd' in some way) but very good. Betts helped me fill out my paper work (since with the tremor I have a hard time writing) and we talked a bit while waiting.
Dr. S. brought me in and we talked about a few things and then went on to a much less 'by the book because I have experience' neurological test. He said that he thought the tremor would go away on its own. There was no sign of tumors or anything other medical explaination. He is still ordering an MRI and a nerve test which I'll have even if the tremor stops (just to make sure that everything is working right).
As we were heading home, Betts shared that she had been concerned that it was something (like a brain tumor or MS or a host of other things) but when she saw that my arms had the same strength and I could do all the tests, she knew it was ok. Apparently I also have 'super' reflexes as you hardly have to touch my and I jump... but you don't have to test that when you see me... just take my word for it :).
My fear during this week was that, while I didn't feel anxious about, that it would still manifest itself in a migraine. Thankfully, this has not happened (I thought one was starting last night but it did't turn into anything). Big and small graces to be thankful in this.
So now, hopefully, things will go back to normal again. :)
I have no pain or anything
Comments