The Migraine Clnic
This morning... very early, before the darkness of the night sky had lifted (that would be 4:30am) I woke up to the startling sound of the alarm. I had been dreaming that Michael Card would be coming as a speaker to Camp Tamarak, but some how it was going to be between him and Hulk Hogan. It was really one of those strange dreams that you don't mind waking up from...
So why was I up so early? This morning I had my first appointment for 6:30 at The Migraine Clinic in Georgetown - just over an hour's drive away. After a few navigational snaffu's (I suppose the GPS didn't like being up so early either and it told me to take the HWY 6 North exit, then do a U-turn and get back on the 401 the way I came from) I managed to find 83 Mill Street.
It was dark there. Very dark. There were 2 men jogging and 1 lone light on inside the building up on the 3rd floor. So I entered cautiously - not even sure if the doors would be open and went upstairs.
Judy, the very sweet and way to perky-this-early-in-the-morning receptionist, welcomed me to the office and took me in a room. Two minutes later Dr. Cleary was in the room. He checked my pulse and asked a few questions then poke (Aaron if you're reading this stop now...) 3 needles in my head and 2 in my left arm. Before he left the room he told me to breath (inhale through the nose and hold for 2-3 seconds then exhale like a sigh) for 20 minutes.
That was it. Twenty minutes later he came back in the room, removed the needles and checked my pulse.
He commented that he was suprised that acupunture didn't work before and that I have 1 of 3 classic types of migraines (he didn't go into detail on that) and that we'll try twice a week for a month and then reassess.
Five minutes later (after I paid with an arm AND a leg) I was back in my car. Just over 2hours of driving for a 25 mintue appointment and I get to do this twice a week.
Now, going for the next month will not necessarily mean that I will be migraine/headache free, but there may be changes in how they feel, what number I am at daily, how effective other medication might be and all these are good things - or so I'm told.
We'll see what will happen in the next month - in the meantime I might start drinking coffee as these early mornings are really early!
So why was I up so early? This morning I had my first appointment for 6:30 at The Migraine Clinic in Georgetown - just over an hour's drive away. After a few navigational snaffu's (I suppose the GPS didn't like being up so early either and it told me to take the HWY 6 North exit, then do a U-turn and get back on the 401 the way I came from) I managed to find 83 Mill Street.
It was dark there. Very dark. There were 2 men jogging and 1 lone light on inside the building up on the 3rd floor. So I entered cautiously - not even sure if the doors would be open and went upstairs.
Judy, the very sweet and way to perky-this-early-in-the-morning receptionist, welcomed me to the office and took me in a room. Two minutes later Dr. Cleary was in the room. He checked my pulse and asked a few questions then poke (Aaron if you're reading this stop now...) 3 needles in my head and 2 in my left arm. Before he left the room he told me to breath (inhale through the nose and hold for 2-3 seconds then exhale like a sigh) for 20 minutes.
That was it. Twenty minutes later he came back in the room, removed the needles and checked my pulse.
He commented that he was suprised that acupunture didn't work before and that I have 1 of 3 classic types of migraines (he didn't go into detail on that) and that we'll try twice a week for a month and then reassess.
Five minutes later (after I paid with an arm AND a leg) I was back in my car. Just over 2hours of driving for a 25 mintue appointment and I get to do this twice a week.
Now, going for the next month will not necessarily mean that I will be migraine/headache free, but there may be changes in how they feel, what number I am at daily, how effective other medication might be and all these are good things - or so I'm told.
We'll see what will happen in the next month - in the meantime I might start drinking coffee as these early mornings are really early!
Comments
I do hope this treatment helps you!