Day Four (warning... not for the squimish)

Bright and early (well actually dark and early) this morning I headed off to Georgetown for my 4th appointment at the Migraine Clinic. The drive is nice with not too many people on the road yet and certainly no traffic my way there or back.

Brandan is there and always cheerful (he MUST be a morning person) and Judy (his receptionist) is also there bright eyed and bushy tailed. After signing in I go into the room and Brandan starts sticking needles in my head and hands. After 20 minutes of breathing and waiting he comes back in to take them out.

This morning he put one in my right hand (it is usually the left) and said 'This one is going to hurt a bit". Well... he wasn't kidding, but I figured I can deal with it for a few minutes. Then I started to get a migraine. When he came back in the room he asked me where it was and then proceeded to put a needle in my left hand, quite far down and wiggle it around while applying pressure to my pinky.

That hurt. A lot. I've never been one to feel faint but I could have easily passed out there. It was a very long 30-45 seconds after which he said "Your hands will be very sensative today. Just so you know." Nice. I tried to lift a binder at the office and can't really use my thumbs so it will be interesting.

As I was leaving he asked me "What are you going to do when you don't have migraines anymore? Do you have any plans?"

It seems odd to think that there may be a time (on this earth) that I don't have a migraine. I can't imagine what it will feel like after having a headache every day for over 20 years. I know when I have 'good' days now I get lots done at home and in the office, but what will I do when there are more 'good' days?

I'm looking forward to being able to work with the lights on, visiting with friends, having people over. Being involved in 'things' again. Spending time with the nephews and nieces and not having to say "Aunt Jen can't play right now I have an owie head".

I have 4 more visits and then we'll re-evaluate and see what more needs to be done or changed or if I can just go in for maintenance every 6 months or so.

So today, though I'm in the dark with a headache now (and not much usefulness with the thumbs) I look forward to a time of relief... and if that doesn't come I'll continue to pray for grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog