Transparancy

A few weeks ago we were talking about being transparent with each other at Riverside. I've been thinking a bit more about this lately, trying to think of how to be that way.

Being transparent doesn't mean that you have to share everything with everyone but that as a family it is important to be able to have that relationship that you COULD share everything with everyone.

There are certain folks that I am closer with than others. Everyone has that, even Jesus was closer to Peter, James & John than he was to the other disciples. There were certain things that he shared only with these 3 men. But he did not share ONLY with those 3 men. In my own family I am closer to some sisters & brothers in law then others, but I will still share things with all of them. So how does this play out in the church?

First I think we need to be more open with each other. Something that I have been realizing over and over is the importance of being specific. (Isn't that nice and vauge?) Don't just pray "bless so and so" but talk to others and find out what can be specifically prayed for. (I know I've mentioned this before but it keeps coming up in my mind how important this is). To do this takes work and effort and getting beyond the superficial conversations that are safe and easy.

Second get out of my small groups. Not that they aren't important, but expand my horizons so that I'm talking with others who I normally might not talk to. Practice hospitality with those that I might not normally have over. Go over and talk to someone I might not normally talk to, but also be purposeful in my conversation to find out what I can be specific about in prayer.

Superficial relationships are just that - superficial. There is no lasting value in them. But being part of a family should be the start to spur us on to sharpen each other (as iron sharpens iron) in our faith and walk, encourage one another and build each other up and spur each other on to love and good works.

Being transparent doesn't mean airying your "dirty laundry" in public confessions during prayer request time, but I think it means being able to approach anyone and being able to say, "Brother, sister, could you please pray for me regarding XXXX" and knowing that you will be brought before the throne of grace.

It also gives us a chance to be accountable. If you don't share your struggles, burdens or sins it is easy to think that you're doing just fine (especially living on my own I find that easy till I talk to someone)but if there is someone that you've asked to pray there is an accountablity to following through. A great grace in being part of the family of God.

So now to do it. Not just talk about it but do it. It feels a bit daunting to get out of my comfort zone and my circle of friends. On Sunday we were told that God does not give us managable tasks. Moses was a shepherd watching someone else's sheep and he had to go before the Pharoh - the most powerful man of that time. If I think that God is calling me to something and I can say "no problem" then I'm not listening. Daunting, but by God's grace not impossible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog