Thanksgiving

Since it is the time that we reflect on what we're thankful for I thought I'd just write down a few things (not in any particular order):

1. Family - my parents, sisters, brothers in law, neices & nephews bring untold love and joy to my life. I love walking inot a room and having the little ones joyfully call out my name with a big squeeze and smooch to follow.

2. My church family - these are the people that I learn and grow with from week to week. I am held accountable, encouraged and prayed for by these dear saints. I have been made a part of their families and they are the ones that I want to learn to be more transparent and less superficial with.

3. My work - I have a job that has lasting and eternal value (something I was praying for before I started almost 10 years ago!). I have been stretched, poke, prodded and convicted in working with inmates, instructors and volunteers. There is great sorrow but also great joy in this work. I am also thankful for a job where I can work with the lights off or can leave in a moments notice if needed. Many other places of employment this would not work.

4. My elders - these men have their plates full (espcially when we were without a pastor). They have sacrificed time with their families and their own 'down' time to shepherd the flock. It is a noble and daughnting task that they have been given. Yet despite all the hard work, they still love me and are eager to support and nurture me in my faith, pray with and for me and show me unconditional love.

5. My home - God has brought me to a place of total reliance on him, a place of contentment. I loved living with my sister, brother in law and the kids (and really miss seeing them everyday). Part of not wanting to leave was a fear of being alone. Living on my own makes it more 'official' that I am single and that I may never be married. That I am a grown up. But now God has been gracious in helping me learn to be content (and happily so) in my singleness so that now that I am on my own I'm not afraid or scared. I'm enjoying this time and season of my life and am eager to see how God will be able to use me for his glory in this.

6. Friends - not just people that I can shoot the breeze with, but dear friends who not only make me laugh but challange me to be a better Christian. Friends who correct me when I'm wrong - and aren't afraid to do that. Friends who care if I'm not well and want to hear about it not just pass it over. Friends who get past that superficial relationship, who I can be open and honest with and I trust with my sin.

7. Windows - this one may seem odd, but in my office I have no view of the "outside". My window is tiny and blocked by my desk (and there is no view out the window anyways). I lived in a basement since I was 14 (granted 5 of those years was in a walk out with large windows but that was 4 years ago). Now I live in an apartment with lots of windows, natural light and fresh air. Curtains, blackouts, blinds are all sort of 'new' to me but refreshing (and Greig thinks will be the answer to my migraines... even if it takes 20 years that will be the answer -living upstairs with windows).

8. The most important - my Father. To know that he loves and cares even about the little details of my life. That he sent his Son so that I might live. What more can be said? I stand in awe of his holiness and majesty and his kindness and caring. Withouth him, there would be nothing worth being thankful for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog