Kelley & Rachel planned a housewarming/open house for me on Monday evening. It was so nice to be able to have my mom & sisters and family from Riverside come out and see my new home.
What I wasn't expecting was the generosity of gifts. What a treat! There were pots & pans (greatly appreciated since I only had 1 stock pot), measuring spoons, cheese graters, trays (with cream cheese, peach/pepper jelly & crackers included), a chicken, toaster, kettle, ironing board, vacuum and from the VanDyk children a cap gun (so that I can keep and eye on them and stop people away from stealing their bikes).
One thing that I had been thinking about as I started settling into my home was that I was missing out on something. When my friends all got married and moved out there were showers and the one thing that they really appreciated (and later told me) was that when they look around their home or use different things in the kitchen they are reminded of those who love them and helped them start their home.
Being single, I thought that I would be missing out on that. I know it is probably silly to think that way, but that is what I thought. Monday night I was reminded again that my Father loves me. He put me in a family and a church family that loves and cares for me and though things don't express that, when I look around my home, or prepare a meal, or sit at the table drinking tea I will be reminded of dear family and friends who love me and not only that, but are praying for me.
In some ways this move has been more difficult than I thought it would be (and easier in others). I've never lived on my own, had to be responsible for everything and have no one to blame if things are messy or not paid on time. But I have sisters who welcome me into their homes (and even let me do laundry) and neighbours who are dear friends. God still put me in a place where there are safe guards and protection and I'm reminded again that I am never alone.
It looks as though Greig doesn't trust Ruby not to take the wrapping paper from him :)
Of course there was lots of laughter as well

Tristan and Hannah came over last week and their first comment was "Jenny Rose - there is your bed!" Their main concern the first bit after I left was that my bed wasn't downstairs anymore. They are looking foward to a sleep over very soon.
DW & Aaron came by the week earlier to drop off a table that Aaron & Ashely weren't using. They were also hanging up some curtain rods for the living room. Of course, I didn't have a drill, but found a cordless screwdriver (that still needed to be charged). Well, the boys had no end of fun with my 6volt screwdriver (which I did use on the weekend to put up another curtain rod - so it does work... just not well or fast).
Comments
I'm happy for you that you're settling into your new home, complete with gifts. Thanks for sharing how you see God continuing to provide for you - in so many ways - such great reminders for me too!
15 days!
Yeah! 15 days! and you can come over for a visit!