Here we go again...
For the last few months, things have been pretty good. Not great - but much better than they had been.
At a follow up visit with my family doctor, she commented "The meds must be working - your eyes aren't black and you aren't crying".
It was a good few months. Instead of days to weeks long migraines, they would only last a day or two and the everyday headache was much less. Instead of saying that I was at a 8 or 9 (1 being low and 10 being unbearable pain) I was at a 5-7. That was huge! From Christmas till end of June I was on the verge of unbearable everyday.
A combination of a beta-blocker and muscle relaxant along with weekly physiotherapy really seemed to be working.
Until 4 weeks ago....
I had just had a great night's sleep in my own bed (and wasn't awakened by children screaming in the night). But as I slowing woke up the familiar pounding was back.
With a vengence.
Three weeks later I was starting to feel a bit 'normal' again. But the 8 to 9's are back. I haven't changed anything - maybe I laughed too hard at MBC - but this seems to be a pattern. A medication will take a few weeks to start working (as would be considered normal) and then after a few weeks of working, it just stops.
No warning... just stops.
It has been discouraging to have had some relief and now not to have any again. Most nights I debate with myself whether it is worth it to wake up Rachel or Kelley and ask them to take me to the ER (ER always loses - I just end up leaving more frustrated and the rebound is almost worse than the initial migraine). Sleepless nights and painful days are draining.
I am thankful for the time that I did have. I was able to enjoy my holidays and spending time with family and friends. Don't get me wrong. I am thankful for that.
I just wish that it would have lasted longer. Now is the time that starts out the 'busy' season for me. Besides fundraising dinners, board meetings, end of year newsletters, calendars, mass mailing into the prisons, there are also weddings and new babies to prepare for.
When I look back it is just like the Footprints poem - those solitary footprints are me walking alone, they are Christ's as he carries me. What a comfort to know that, though I feel discouraged and forgotten I'm held safely in the hands of my Father.
At a follow up visit with my family doctor, she commented "The meds must be working - your eyes aren't black and you aren't crying".
It was a good few months. Instead of days to weeks long migraines, they would only last a day or two and the everyday headache was much less. Instead of saying that I was at a 8 or 9 (1 being low and 10 being unbearable pain) I was at a 5-7. That was huge! From Christmas till end of June I was on the verge of unbearable everyday.
A combination of a beta-blocker and muscle relaxant along with weekly physiotherapy really seemed to be working.
Until 4 weeks ago....
I had just had a great night's sleep in my own bed (and wasn't awakened by children screaming in the night). But as I slowing woke up the familiar pounding was back.
With a vengence.
Three weeks later I was starting to feel a bit 'normal' again. But the 8 to 9's are back. I haven't changed anything - maybe I laughed too hard at MBC - but this seems to be a pattern. A medication will take a few weeks to start working (as would be considered normal) and then after a few weeks of working, it just stops.
No warning... just stops.
It has been discouraging to have had some relief and now not to have any again. Most nights I debate with myself whether it is worth it to wake up Rachel or Kelley and ask them to take me to the ER (ER always loses - I just end up leaving more frustrated and the rebound is almost worse than the initial migraine). Sleepless nights and painful days are draining.
I am thankful for the time that I did have. I was able to enjoy my holidays and spending time with family and friends. Don't get me wrong. I am thankful for that.
I just wish that it would have lasted longer. Now is the time that starts out the 'busy' season for me. Besides fundraising dinners, board meetings, end of year newsletters, calendars, mass mailing into the prisons, there are also weddings and new babies to prepare for.
When I look back it is just like the Footprints poem - those solitary footprints are me walking alone, they are Christ's as he carries me. What a comfort to know that, though I feel discouraged and forgotten I'm held safely in the hands of my Father.
Comments