Winter Adventures (the Good and the Bad)

The Bad
It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Not really a great way to end off the year, but an iron infusion looked like the way to go to try to get my iron levels up. 
 
Betty Ann came with me on that first appointment.  It was nice to have her there to laugh with during the infusion :)  I was in the room with other folks who were getting chemo treatments and blood transfusions.  They all had a good laugh at the dark brown substance that was coming down my IV tube.  The joke was to add a bit of rum to the coke or baileys to the coffee (as it looked as brown as coke or coffee) and I would feel much better.  The whole thing took about 2 hours so not too bad. 
 
After the first infusion, I was a bit light headed afterwards and spent the rest of the evening laying on the couch.  Saturday morning I woke up with a burst of energy - I can't tell you the last time I felt that good!  Admittedly, I overdid it, but I was feeling good so I cleaned the basement, did laundry, cleaned the kitchen, washed the floors, did some errands, sewed at Karen's for about 2 hours, went to do some grocery shopping.  I just went non-stop!  Usually I can do 1 or 2 of those things and then have to have a nap/rest.  I got so much done! 
 
Then 6pm came and I was standing cutting cauliflower and I couldn't even hold the knife.  I felt like I had lead going through my veins.  I couldn't even finish cutting the cauliflower.  By 7:30 I was in bed totally exhausted. 
 
I woke up at midnight with a blazing migraine and went to get up, but I felt like I had at least 10 of those vests the dentist puts on you when you're getting an xray.  I spent the next week moving very slowly - it hurt to raise my arms, to walk, to move.  By the Friday morning I was feeling ok, so I determined that I would not overdo it on Saturday, no matter how good I felt after the 2nd infusion. 
 
This time I went on my own.  I brought some crocheting to work on and had a lovely chat with some of the chemo patients.  The time passed by quickly.  When I got home I had to lay down.  I didn't get that burst of energy.  If anything it was worse.  The rest of the week continued the same.  I had a huge bruise on my arm this time and we think that they may have nicked something and I have to absorb the iron through the muscle instead of the veins.  If my arm is bent, I can hold onto things, but it sends shooting pains to try to lift anything.  (I probably overdo it with my arm as well, but it is hard to not lift or use an arm).
 
Friday came and it was time for the 3rd infusion.  By the time I got to the hospital I was so nauseous, I thought I was getting a migraine.  I took some Gravol and the nurse said that I could rebook, but when I went to the desk she said that I'd have to call my family doc and they would call the hospital and it  might be a few weeks.  I didn't want to wait that long so I just went back to my chair.  The volunteer was an older dutch lady and she grabbed a warm blanket, tucked me in and I slept through most of the infusion.  By the time it was done I was no longer nauseous.
 
Twenty minutes later I was home, in bed.  I had a migraine and was nauseous.  The energy did not come the next morning, just more of the same.  As the weeks have gone on, I'm still nauseous and take a lot of Gravol.  My levels went from 9 (normal fertin levels are 10-200 and I'm usually between 4-9) to 60!  I don't know that my iron has ever been that high!  It could be why I'm feeling so off - I'm not used to it and I have to adjust.  Eight+ weeks later, I supposed I'm still adjusting.
 
I'm feeling like I can vacuum again (even the thought of that was tiring) and my arm isn't quite so sore, though some days are much better than others.  I'm still nauseous - a lot.  I called my doctor's office (my family doc is actually now teaching and no longer practicing so I've seen the RPN and a new doc).  Their first response is,  "Are you pregnant?".  It was kind of funny the first time they asked, but now I've been asked at least 4 times and if they ask me again... well... there will be words.  I had some new blood work done last week and they are going to check my liver and kidney functions as well as some other things because "yeah, that doesn't seem right". 
 
I have to remember to be patient with the new doctor, my old doctor who I really loved took some time before I felt that way too. 
 
The Good
During the Christmas holidays, I had told the kids I would take them on a Winter Adventure.  We were going to go with some friends, but it didn't work out so I headed out with Tristan, Hannah and Julia on a Friday after work.  We went to Churchill park and walked the trail on the other side of the river.

It was really like a winter wonderland back there.  It was shortly after the ice storm so there were lots of trees down and everything was covered in snow and ice.  We had so much fun walking the trail, looking for footprints, climbing fallen trees and just playing.
 

 We ended up at the playground where the kids played for a while.  It was not too cold out so being out for over an hour was easy to do.  It was so quiet - besides the laughter of the kids.  We were hoping to see some deer or other animals, but were content with some peacocks and other birds.

And of course, we had to stop at Timmy's for hot chocolate and timbits.  It really was so much fun and we did enjoy our Winter Adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog