A New Adventure

"So, was I right?" I glubbly asked the gastroenterologist yesterday afternoon. "I'm not celiac right?"

Then there was that dreaded pause.  "Well, Jennifer" he started thoughtfully "your scope was worse this time than the last time.  I was careful to keep the upper biopsies separate from the lower ones but they were the same.  If the upper ones were worse, then it would have been from acid, but they were the same.  That, along with the 2nd batch of blood work that we did point to Celiac."

It was not what I was expecting to hear!

He then proceeded to tell me that I'll need to have a bone density test (which is basically just an xray) and if my bones are looking thin (there goes the "I'm just big boned' excuse) then it will be a slam dunk.  My non-existent iron levels, black eyes and migraines would all be explained by Celiac.

So over the next few weeks I'll be having that test and hopefully will also be able to have some iron injections (this can be done in the office by a nurse as opposed to via IV where I would have to be at the hospital).  The iron injections would be once a week over about 6 weeks.

Starting next week (for real, I'll try to avoid things this weekend but I'll be in Winnipeg visiting my friend for her 40th birthday so I won't be home and doing the cooking) I'll be going gluten free. It doesn't mean that the migraines will completely go away, but it should lessen them.

A number of years ago I did a no: wheat, soy, corn, sugar, dairy, pork, mushrooms, onions, peppers diet (basically I had Kashi for breakfast with Rice Dream (which is a dream if you think it tastes good), boiled potatoes and beans with beef for lunch and supper).  This lasted for 8 weeks and did not help with the migraines (though I did lose some weight).  Talking with Rachel last night, we thought it would be much easier to do this time around (I can still have milk and corn !!!) with less restrictions.  Basically if it grows naturally I can have it.

Karen makes bread and cookies for her pastor (he asks every week if she is going to be making the cookies for him - they are soooo good) and she will make some bread for me.  We've already had the corn pasta and it does taste good.

It just means a bit more planning.

When us girls were talking last night, Karen said "That's great! You have celiac!" followed quickly by "Well, it is sucky, but at least it might give a reason behind the migraines and you can maybe lessen them a bit". 

I know it won't be a magic bullet, but especially after the last 3-4 weeks of 8-10 days, it would be nice to have some relief.

I have a follow up appointment in 6 months - to see how things have been going and I'm sure he'll want to do another endoscopy (I have to just remind myself - there is no 'prep' and it isn't the 'other' end.  Just 5 mins of discomfort with a huge tube down my throat).

So, I'll just eat my crow (it is gluten free) and start this new chapter with optimistic hope that there will be some relief to the migraines.

PS. I was looking up some blogs and found a recipe for Lemon Pie :)

Comments

Betty said…
Oh Jen! I'm so glad for you that maybe, just maybe you may be on your way to some relief. If it truly is Celiac, at least you can figure out ways to deal with it to a certain extent. Not that being Celiac is nice, but at least you have something to work with. Praying that this will help and that your headaches will go away! Betty

Popular posts from this blog