Why Stop Now? Week 28
This morning I had my last session at the Migraine Clinic. 28 weeks, 56 sessions, about 300 needles, 4480 km, and a whole lot of money later, I've decided to stop going.
It may seem odd - since it seems to be helping, but there are a few reasons.
1. It is expensive. I am getting help to pay for the sessions that I have had, but it is still very expensive, plus gas, milage and loss of sleep (though my hour nap was great!).
2. I was expecting about 15 weeks, that was the average the people were going and seeing results. I know that things often take time and I can say that I have given it an honest try. As it is, I went almost double the amount of time that I had originally planned and feel in some ways that it could still be a long process with not much different results. The doc did suggest this morning that maybe I see if I can come every 3 weeks and see if that still helps. He doesn't want me to 'regress' after so long. I'll have to think about that one.
3. There is someone in the Cambridge area who, while not an acupuncturist alone, may be able to give the same treatments or a combination of a few different things that I'm going to try. My visits with her would also be covered by insurance (which would be a huge thing) and it is local so less driving etc.
If anyone asked, I would recommend going to see Dr. Cleary. He is a very knowledgable and kind man and has helped a lot of people suffering from not only migraines, but strokes, sports injuries and a host of other things. The staff are very friendly and it was nice to get to know them over the last 7 months.
As I posted last time, there have been some changes and overall things are better so I am thankful for that. I am back at the point I was before things got really bad so that is a good thing. This might be my 'normal' and if it is like this I know that God will give the strength (as he always does) that I need for each day. I have only had 2 really bad myheadisgoingtoimplodeandexplodeatthesametime migraines since January and they didn't last long and it usulaly doesn't get unbearable till the evenings so I can still work and get things done during the day. All things to be thankful for.
Now to remember to be thankful.
I'm sure the girls will miss 'checking my head for blood' on Thursday nights. Hans will appreciate not having to tip toe around me on Thursdays (I"m usually exhausted when I get in and have a tired headache till Saturday). Rachel will appreciate me coming home earlier on Fridays since I won't have to stay later to make up for time off on Thursday mornings. I will miss that nap though - it is usually the best sleep I have all week - but I'll also be able to go to bed on Wednesday nights AFTER the sun goes down.
Thank you for all your prayers as I went through these treatments and your continued prayers are appreciated as I figure out what the next step is.
It may seem odd - since it seems to be helping, but there are a few reasons.
1. It is expensive. I am getting help to pay for the sessions that I have had, but it is still very expensive, plus gas, milage and loss of sleep (though my hour nap was great!).
2. I was expecting about 15 weeks, that was the average the people were going and seeing results. I know that things often take time and I can say that I have given it an honest try. As it is, I went almost double the amount of time that I had originally planned and feel in some ways that it could still be a long process with not much different results. The doc did suggest this morning that maybe I see if I can come every 3 weeks and see if that still helps. He doesn't want me to 'regress' after so long. I'll have to think about that one.
3. There is someone in the Cambridge area who, while not an acupuncturist alone, may be able to give the same treatments or a combination of a few different things that I'm going to try. My visits with her would also be covered by insurance (which would be a huge thing) and it is local so less driving etc.
If anyone asked, I would recommend going to see Dr. Cleary. He is a very knowledgable and kind man and has helped a lot of people suffering from not only migraines, but strokes, sports injuries and a host of other things. The staff are very friendly and it was nice to get to know them over the last 7 months.
As I posted last time, there have been some changes and overall things are better so I am thankful for that. I am back at the point I was before things got really bad so that is a good thing. This might be my 'normal' and if it is like this I know that God will give the strength (as he always does) that I need for each day. I have only had 2 really bad myheadisgoingtoimplodeandexplodeatthesametime migraines since January and they didn't last long and it usulaly doesn't get unbearable till the evenings so I can still work and get things done during the day. All things to be thankful for.
Now to remember to be thankful.
I'm sure the girls will miss 'checking my head for blood' on Thursday nights. Hans will appreciate not having to tip toe around me on Thursdays (I"m usually exhausted when I get in and have a tired headache till Saturday). Rachel will appreciate me coming home earlier on Fridays since I won't have to stay later to make up for time off on Thursday mornings. I will miss that nap though - it is usually the best sleep I have all week - but I'll also be able to go to bed on Wednesday nights AFTER the sun goes down.
Thank you for all your prayers as I went through these treatments and your continued prayers are appreciated as I figure out what the next step is.
Comments