Camping

Last week I went camping with Rachel & Ryan and the kids. It was a great weather week (no rain!!!) and hot. The water was a bit cool on some days (Tristan asked if there were ice cubes in the water) that made it a bit more 'challenging' to be in the water - but the kids loved it.


Julia really enjoyed the beach this year (though she ended up getting sick near the end of the week so she didn't go on Friday). She had her own personal bucket for 'cleaning off'. Basically she just played around and did whatever she wanted - and was careful by the water until 1 time when daddy went out with Tristan and Hannah and she decided to go in after them.



One of the fun things that Ryan does is bring a big shovel. He digs huge holes (which are great for keeping the babies "contained" and the kids have endless fun filling it up with water. So what do you do with the extra dirt? Bury everyone of course! Hannah and Julia were giggling away as they buried Tristan.

Next was Hannah's turn. Julia and Tristan poured water on top so that the mud got nice and hard. The best part was when the water splashed up mud in their faces. Not a tear in sight - just big giggles.
Even Julia got a chance to be buried. Sometimes the best part of a picture is the background - Tristan is laying in a hole that Ryan dug that was filled with water and because it was so shallow, it was warm. After jumping in the ice cube water to get the sand off, it was a great place to warm up.


We spent a lot (and I do mean a lot ) of time riding bikes. So much so, that I didn't get a picture of it. Tristan's 2 main sentences of the week were "I'm starving" and "Aunt Jen, can we go for a short bike ride?" Hannah always wanted to come along too. This is the first year that they really rode bikes and we had great fun - though Hannah was so paranoid about cars coming, so she would be speeding along and suddenly throw her feet down to stop and say "Aunt Jen, I hear a car". Finally after many times of saying "Hannah, I love you and won't let you get hit by a car" she would keep biking.


Julia also liked riding in the bike carrier. On Saturday Karen and Mike came down so I had Eli, Analia and Julia in the carrier. Tristan and I were biking and he kept laughing that he was beating me - but I kept reminding him that I had 4 people and he only had 1.

Ryan's parents were also a few campsites away so the kids would bike there. Tristan got a Monoply game for his birthday so we took that out and played (of course the kids clobbered grandma and me)!

I had found some Archie comics at the Thrift store and since when we were kids we always had them at camp, I thought I'd bring them along for the kids. They were "looking" books not 'reading' books so Tristan who is just learning to read (though it looks like he really is reading) would climb in daddy's chair, recline (sometimes with Hannah's help) and look at the pictures.

It was really a great week! The kids really enjoyed camping and biking and all the time at the water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog