

A few years ago my sister Karen and I went to Taiwan for 2 weeks to teach English at Christ's College for a program called American Villiage. Students from the college could sign up for an intensive 8 day program where they would pretend they were coming to America and were only allowed to speak English. Karen would be teaching one of the 4 classes held each day and I was a room 'mom' and helped with planning different activities.
Before we left we got a video to look at from the previous year and there was a girl who had been to American Village to help improve her English. Karen and I immediately hoped that we would get to meet this sweet girls who was touched that people would come from the States to teach her English "They don't even know what Taiwan is... is it a tree?" she said. To our great delight we got to meet Fiona on our first evening! She was going to be taking care of some children that had come along on the trip. Fiona showed us many interesting little things about Taiwan - like ice milk and milk tea, and was even able to take up to a few places for sight seeing when we were the only ones from the group left.
The next winter, Fiona went to Winthrop Univeristy in Rock Hill, SC to study to be an ESL teacher. Karen and I went down for New Year's and had a great visit with the Brannon's (a family that we met in Taiwan who Fiona was then living with). The next year Karen & Mike and I went for New Year's again. After many tries, Fiona has finally passed her last exam and is now able to teach ESL. Fiona is now back in Taiwan and a few days ago celebrated her birthday.
I am so thankful for the time that we have been able to come together and talk of God's working in her life and how he is working in her family as well. I used to think that people in different countries didn't experience the same things we did in the same ways (I'm not sure why I thought that). Being on the other side of the world, seeing the same cloud fomations that we have here in Canada, I realized how small we really are and how great God is! That he knows each of his children by name and loves us all just fills me with awe and wonder. What a precious gift the friendship that we have with this sweet girl is.
Comments