See you tomorrow

It is hard to believe that it has been a week since I started radiation, and what a whirlwind it has been!  Last Thursday was my first treatment.  Tini came along with me.  We had a quick visit with the nurse and then got changed and headed in.  A scan was done and then 5 minutes later I was done.  As I was getting off the table, the nurse said "See you tomorrow".

Those 3 words hit me like a ton of bricks!

See you tomorrow

We drove back to Tini's and had some tea and relaxed, a had a headache starting so I headed to Rachel's (I had to give an in person update and get some kid snuggles) before I headed home.

We told Tristan, Hannah and Julia a few days before, just in case they overhear someone at church talking about it.  I wanted them to hear it from me first.  They took it really well.  Tristan and Hannah just were glad that it was out and the treatment I was going to have would be helpful.

Julia is the thinker/worrier.  She would come up and ask me questions - most of all would I be done by her birthday. Thankfully I finish on November 23rd - the day before.  She is excited that we can celebrate together!

Hannah cozied up to me on Thursday and said that she and Julia would come to my house to help me with cleaning, if I needed it.  It was so sweet for her to think of something that she could do to help.

When I finally got home, it was about 4pm.  I laid down on the couch and slept for 3 hours!  I had slept really Wednesday night (even waking up to my alarm) so I was surprised.  My head was really hurting, a 'normal' migraine but also a different sort of pain that really couldn't be touch by meds.  Someone from church had made supper for me, so I had some and then laid down again - not sleeping but not really resting either - I was in too much pain.  At 9, I finally went to bed, my head in searing pain and just exhausted.

Then the crying started.

I just couldn't stop.  Wave after wave of self-pity and pain rolled on and on and on.  Finally at 2, I got up took double pain meds and fell asleep for 3 hours.  I woke up at 5 to text Hettie to see if she could come with me that day (I had other arrangements but they fell through just before I went to bed) and then slept for another 2 hours.  I looked like I'd spent the night crying and felt like it.  My eyes were swollen shut and puffy.

Thankfully, the Friday treatment went well and even though I had to nap again once I got home and I had a migraine, I was able to sleep through the night.

I had been hoping that my migraines would lessen (some others who've had migraines and radiation said that they had a bit of relief) but so far I just have to keep pressing on.

I am reminded again and again of God's kindnesses during this and the outpouring of love and encouragement that I have been able to receive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog