Don't Forget to Remember

It has been one of those weeks.  Well a few of those weeks.  And then yesterday happened.

Last Friday I had the last of my 6 iron injections and on Monday I had some blood work done to check my iron levels.  Yesterday I got a call from my family doc saying that my levels went from 4 to 9.

9.

I almost started crying over the phone.  I could tell that having those 6 (painful and expensive) injections hadn't done anything.  If anything my migraines were worse.  Every Friday afternoon I would have to lay down for at least 1/2 hour and then would come the migraine that had me in bed for at least a day and a half. 

It was one of those things that you really hope is going to work but don't want to hope too much because what if it doesn't.

And it didn't.

I had a long chat with dear Betts afterwards - and we're going to see if waiting till I've done 6 months of gluten free might help.  Once my stomach has had a chance to 'heal' a bit I might be able to absorb iron better.  So in the meantime I'm going to keep taking iron orally and see what happens in November.

It has been a hard few weeks - lots of time off and in bed with migraines.  Even now, I should be in bed but I have to still get work done and do some sort of functioning so with lots of Tylenol and other lovely things, I'm pushing through.  While I can grieve with hope, there is still grieving and the funeral took more of a toll than I had anticipated (which didn't help in the head department).

The gluten free thing has had its hard moments as well.  I think I'm at the point where I would give my right hand for a piece of fresh baked bread, or a bowl of pasta or a donut.  I feel like eggs and rice are a staple and I don't particularly care for either.  It takes planning of which my brain doesn't feel like doing.

So today I am trying to remember the blessings.

1. Sisters who love me.  Every day Rachel makes suppers that I can eat - it might seem like something little, but with all the other work that she has (with 2 running/getting into everything boys) I really appreciate this.  The other girls look out for interesting things that I might enjoy as well.  They also ask how things are going and give encouragement.  Even Ryan (though not a sister) is on the look out for gf items that I might like (he picked up breakfast sausage the other day while in Elmira).

2. Betts.  This is a big one to be thankful for.  I can call her anytime and cry or ask questions and get good advise and if she doesn't know the answer she'll find out.  She also makes me laugh - loud and long and hard.  Sure we might get into trouble for our laughter, but it is good.

3. Hannah and Julia.  All the kids are great, but these two have been especially dear lately.  Julia lets me take a nap in her bed if I have to come home early.  "Jen, you can sleep in my bed and feel better.  Your my best friend". Hannah will question if things have wheat in them and is very sympathetic if they are eating something that I can't have "Auntie Jen, I asked Aunt Sonya and the cupcakes have wheat so you may not have one." or "Auntie Jen, are vegetables made of wheat?".  They also both will come and sit with me and if their hands are cold they'll rub my head (cold always feels good) until their hands are warm and then ask sweetly 'Auntie Jen, does that feel better?  Are my hands still cold enough?".

Don't forget to remember - that will be the phrase of the day.  Count the blessings despite the disappointments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog