Don't klll the ants....
I was just reading someone's blog post about aunts and the blessing that these aunts were to her. As I was thinking more about it, I know I have a very unique opportunity with my nephews and nieces that I am so thankful for.
This morning, as I realized that I forgot to set my alarm and I had missed the morning news, I was awakened to a still quiet voice in my ear "Auntie Jen, can we watch Wild Kratts?" followed by a quick smooch on the forehead and the sound of feet skipping across the floor to turn on the TV. "Auntie Jen said ok, but we have to be super quiet".
Living with my sister and brother in law and their 5 children may seem like an odd thing for an almost 40 (but not really almost 40) year old woman to do. I've written before about how I moved in with them, how well we got along and how when I did leave the kids asked me every week when I was bringing my bed back. It may not be the 'normal' of how most single people live, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
That doesn't mean I don't enjoy when I have the house to myself for a Saturday afternoon or if they are on holidays to have the whole house for the week. There are times when I wish I was on my own...
This morning, as I realized that I forgot to set my alarm and I had missed the morning news, I was awakened to a still quiet voice in my ear "Auntie Jen, can we watch Wild Kratts?" followed by a quick smooch on the forehead and the sound of feet skipping across the floor to turn on the TV. "Auntie Jen said ok, but we have to be super quiet".
Living with my sister and brother in law and their 5 children may seem like an odd thing for an almost 40 (but not really almost 40) year old woman to do. I've written before about how I moved in with them, how well we got along and how when I did leave the kids asked me every week when I was bringing my bed back. It may not be the 'normal' of how most single people live, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
That doesn't mean I don't enjoy when I have the house to myself for a Saturday afternoon or if they are on holidays to have the whole house for the week. There are times when I wish I was on my own...
- I wouldn't find mysterious toys in my room or things missing.
- makeup wouldn't be spread over every surface of the bathroom.
- I wouldn't have to listen to feet stomping overhead when I was in bed with a migraine.
- Showers - I think that bathtime became my job when mommy's tummy wouldn't fit over the tub anymore. Now I look forward to those few minutes of talking with the girls as we wash their hair comparing whose is longer, why do we put this other stuff in our hair, can we have a bath and soak for a bit... I don't do the twins yet - but if I am home I am there to take the first one out (usually Anthony who is scream from the time the tub gets turned on till he is safe and secure wrapped in a towel).
- Reading. It used to be that the kids would curl up with a stack of books on my lap and I would read to them. Now the kids are reading their books to me or we take turns, each reading a page. We are also now reading chapter books. This is what I have been waiting for! To be able to go on adventures with the kids in our stories. I loved reading as a kid and want to share that love with the kids. In the fall I hope to start the Little House on the Prairie books but right now we're doing The Magic Treehouse books (where a brother and sister point to a page in a book, wish to be there and then go to that place and have an adventure) and a Fancy Nancy mystery (which they are really enjoying as well). It is fun to hear them talk about what they think is going to happen next and whodunit.
- Taking the kids to school. In the mornings, it just works out better for me to drive the kids to school (much easier to get 2 ready than 5 especially when it is snowing or raining). We're working on learning directions (the kids tell me to turn left or right) and noticing things that happen every morning (like the lady with the funny hat that walks every morning or beating the school bus into the parking lot). We talk about what they think they'll do for the day, pray that they'll have a good day at school, listen well, be kind and for mommy and the kids at home and daddy on the road and Auntie Jen in her office (that she won't find any mouse poop). Once we get to school, we drop Hannah off at the gate and after hugs goodbye, Tristan and I walk down the path to the back of the school. We look to see if my footprints are still there (I thought I'd be kind and get a ball for some kinds and ended up losing both my shoes in the mud) and if they are starting to fade, Tristan steps in them again to make sure that there are there. Hannah races us to the back fence and the kids yell at each other that they love each other and hope you have a good day. I don't always get a goodbye kiss from Tristan, but I do get a 'super love you too'. Then I climb back up the hill and meet Hannah by the fence for a final goodbye hug and smooch. I often meet up with some of the teachers who comment that they love Tristan and Hannah and how they are so affectionate to each other and kind not only to each other but other kids and teachers too.
- A welcoming committee when I get home. This was something that I really missed when I lived on my own, and though when I'm not feeling well I look forward to coming home to a quiet house, it is nice be greeted with hugs and smiles. The twins are usually in their highchairs, munching on some sort of pre-supperholdthiswhileIfinish snack and they turn around to see who is coming in the door. Anthony's eyes light up and there are big smiles. Blake makes some sort of noise (he isn't really talking yet but I think they are saying Auntie Jen). Julia will come running and give me a hug and a smooch and the other two, well it depends where they are and what they are doing but usually there is a loud "Auntie Ben is home!". A royal welcome if you ask me.
- Interesting dinner conversation. When you live alone, dinner time is pretty quiet (sure, you get to eat hot food and don't end up with dirty fingers on your clothes or sticky tables) but with 5 children around the table it gets pretty animated. The other day we were talking about ants and Tristan was talking about squishing the ants. "Don't squish the ants" I said rather protested rather loudly "We don't like to be squished unless it is a hug". I got that oh bother look and "Auntie Jen we don't mean you ants we mean the little bugs on the ground" followed by the big sigh of "she's trying to be funny again".
Comments
I am reading the Little House Series to Abiel but most often there are a couple of boys hanging around listening in.