New Things

Yesterday I saw a new physiotherapist.  There is no mistaking that she is Dutch (about 9 feet tall with blonde hair)!  She was recommended by some folks from church who have seen her for a few different problems and they all really liked her. 

It was your 'normal' first visit.  How long have you had migraines? Have you tried this medication/diet/exercise/doctor/treatment?  Do you have any stresses?  Do you know what your triggers are?  Have you had a CAT Scan or MRI?  Do you have a list of medications?  Then comes the normal physical exams.  Turn your neck this way and that.  If I poke here does it hurt?  What about here?  Followed by the exclaimation "Wow your neck/back muscles are super tight!"

Carolyn's plan is a bit different from what I've had in the past and I have to say that so far, I'm pretty happy/excited about it (can you really be excited by something that is going to hurt?!?!).  The goal is to 'retrain' the nerves that think 'there is pain there I'm just going to turn off' to 'it is ok - I can work'.  The aim is to be able to do most of the excercises on my own and not have an indefinate time line of visits. 

This is good!

So, today I went on line to purchase a Thera Cane (it makes me feel really old to type that) which is an odd shaped cane that you use to work pressure points that are harder to reach so you can 'treat' yourself.


She also gave me some 'listening' therapy - where I have to lay down and listen to a CD for 20 mins a day and see how that helps to 'calm' me.  (Some things are better than others.)  Carolyn also gave me some stretches to do throughout the day - some of which I have been doing without realizing that they would be helpful (always good to be 'in the know' before you're actually 'in the know").

I also started some new medications to see if they will help with building up some energy (I seem to get totally wiped out after a migrane and can hardly stand).  These will all take time of course but we'll see.  I just talked with a nurse friend and asked about being allergic to iron suppliments (the pharmasist had never heard of such a thing) as I've been insanely itchy since I started the iron.  She thought maybe to cut out the citrus with it (yeah!!! I don't really like orange juice so no hardship there!!!) and see if that helps.  Hannah will be happy too as her new job has been to scratch Aunt Jen's back (her little fingers do a great job!!!)

Now, in unrated news... here is a long needed updated picture of the twins (Blake is on the left and Anthony on the right) who are 5 months old today.  They were both in the ER last week with RSV pnenmonia and double ear infections - but the meds are working wonderfully (they don't go in that great - there is a lot of pink antibiotics around.  You'd think they would develope dye-free for babies!).  They are pretty much back to their happy selves (just some congestion and runny noses).  Even while sick and really not feeling well, they both tried to give you a smile. 
Blake and Anthony really have been such good babies (of course I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to feed them).  Blake has the greatest laugh - a good belly laugh and smiles and laughs all the time.  Anthony is really chatty.  They are both very snuggely and LOVE to give kisses.  As soon as you hold them up they are leaning forward to give you a big open mouth/drool pouring out smooch.  The other kids love it that they smooch all the time too - and don't even mind the drool. 

The boys seem to notice each other more now and if you thought they smiled before it is nothing compared to when they see each other.  A full body laugh and smiles all around.  When they were in the ER, they were both laying on the bed and I guess the stethescope was a bit cold and Blake started crying.  They boys were holding hands as if to say "Brother it is cold, take my hand" and "Brother, I'm here, hold on".  Sometimes if Blake is crying Anthony will stick his thumb in Blake's mouth as if to say "They're not coming... mom's tired... just suck my thumb for a bit".  The other day Blake was laying on his back and wiggling his fingers and Anthony (who was on his belly) started playing with Blake's fingers.  It is really neat to see them interacting with each other!

Comments

Lucy van Eyk said…
What sweet stories about your twin nephews!!!! Glad they are on the mend.
I sure hope this new trick works for your head!! We want you to feel up to a next visit!

Popular posts from this blog