Because it is one of 'those' days....

It has been one of those days... well honestly weeks.... or more truthfully months. Everyday feels a bit worse than the one before. These are the times that I need to be reminded again of God's blessings in my life so that when I am laying in bed, or working in the dark (as is the case today) or just in pain, I can still be thankful.

1. I am thankful that I am a child of God. Above all things, that he chose me before the foundation of the world, this is the greatest blessing. I can't imagine how anyone could even think of surviving anything without hope. I know that I have hope in Christ and because of that I can endure the hardships of each day.

2. I am thankful for my work. I have worked in offices in the past and just had to suffer through if I had a migraine. Here I can turn off the lights and get my work done and if that isn't cutting it I can go home and make up the time later. The board and those I work with are very understanding.

3. I am thankful for my friends. Kelley who will check and make sure I'm still 'alive' if she sees my car in the driveway. Betty Ann who will make sure that I'm not mixing wrong medications and finding helpful things to use. Hettie, Brad and countless others who email me during the week to let me know that they are praying for me.

4. I am thankful for my church. When the children ask for prayer for "Miss Demfer's hegaches" it encourages my heart to know that prayer is not just something done at church but around the tables of family worship as well.

5. I am thankful for my sister. My sisters who look out for me, check up on me (as though I was the youngest and not the oldest), who welcome me into their homes, let me love on their kids and share my 'crazy' ideas with and who love and support me. Growing up I often wished I was an only child (so that we could go to Florida on Spring Break) but over the years I have learned that my sisters are precious gifts. Though I wish we could all be together and more often, I love the time that we can spend together, laughing (wait... Hovestadt's laughing???) and crying, sharing and encouraging each other.

6. I am thankful for my brothers in law. These men who have charmed their way into our family, who love my sisters more than I could have ever hoped that they would. These men who love me and are protective of me. These men who let me come into their homes, look out for me and pray for me. I always wanted a brother growing up and now I have 4 (though I wish it were 5) who make me laugh, tease me and do all the things that brothers do.

7. I am thankful for my nephews & neices. I wish I could know them all. It is my prayer that one day I will. But the ones that I do know, I love so dearly. Tristan & Hannah & Julia - who I lived with for most of their lives, who squeal with delight when I come for a visit. Eli & Analia - who I'm getting to know better and love to tickle and snuggle with. Meaghan - who smiles a huge smile when I see her and laughs and laughs. These little kidderboos bring me such joy and love.

8. I am thankful for my parents. Though they aren't very close by and I don't get to see them as often as everyone else I know that I can call them anytime for anything. I know that they are praying for me in all areas of my life, that God's will would be done. Though years ago, some of the things that I would talk to them about seemed crazy, now they realize the value in them and put them into practice (keeping me under the umbrella of dad's protection - even if I'm not living under his roof). I love being able to sit and talk with mom and have 'dates' with dad. I am thankful for the sacrifices that they have made so that I could have a christian education, go to a church that preached the entire Bible faithfully and instilled in me a love for my Father.

9. I am thankful that it isn't worse. Someone once told me that I should look at how things could be. I am not 'sick' when I have a migraine (that would be MUCH worse). I have some "tricks'
that I can do when I'm not feeling well. I am still able to work (some days/weeks more than others).

10. I am thankful for trials that make me long for heaven more. I find it so easy to be focused on life on earth and not wanting to leave this life. But every day while I am thankful I look forward, with great hope, to what is waiting. A life without pain or sorrow or sickness but perfect unity with God!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog