Friends are Friends Forever

Last week Cher, Betty and I were able to get together to say goodbye to Cher. Her husband accepeted a call the the URC in Winnipeg, MB and they leave this Saturday to start on their new adventure in ministry.

Over the years we've grown a bit a part (getting married, having children and moving away tend to do that) but when we do get together it is like no time has past. We suddenly are sitting in a booth in Swiss Chalet laughing, talking, laughing, remembering, singing, and did I mention laughing?

These two dear women (are we really old enough to be called women... it feels like we're just young girls still) have had a great influence in my life. In highschool (though they were a few years ahead of me) they welcomed me into their circle of friends. In young people's they helped me with preparing my first lessons (well Cher did and apparently doing a skit does not qualify as a lesson... who knew?!?). They taught me to laugh (as if I really needed help with that) and were there with me when I needed to cry (of course bringing along a supply of candy and chocolate to help 'ease' the pain). Most importantly they showed me what it is to be a godly woman. Like iron sharpens iron - so these dear hearted friends sharpened me and helped me to see what it means to live out your faith.

So the plans are that we will come together again in May 2011 with a little trip out to Manitoba. As I was listening to some music this week - even though it is a bit sappy - I was reflecting on the words of Michael W. Smith's Friends and thought of how true the words are:

Friends are friends forever, if the Lord's the lord of them

And a friend will not say never, cause the
friendship will not end

Though it's hard to let you go, in the Father's
hand we know

That a lifetime's not to long to live as
friends

Comments

Lucy van Eyk said…
It sure gets costly when friends move away doesn't it!!?

Popular posts from this blog