Friendships

John Chrysostom (347–407) was one of the great preachers in the early church. He was given the name Chrysostom, which means “golden-mouthed,” because of his eloquent sermons.

Here is one of his insights on the value of friends: “Such is friendship, that through it we love places and seasons; for as . . . flowers drop their sweet leaves on the ground around them, so friends impart favor even to the places where they dwell. With friends even poverty is pleasant. . . . It would be better for us that the sun were exhausted than that we should be without friends.”

As I read this this morning I started thinking about the friends that God has put in my lifetime. Though some are old friends who I don't see anymore, I have great memories of laughing, crying, singing and playing with them. And now in this season of life, God has given new friends who challange me to grow in my faith, to love and who make me laugh. I am so thankful for each one (whether old or new) and how God has blessed me through you.

Comments

Rich and Cher said…
Jen, I count myself very blessed to be one of your friends! Even at Sandbanks last week, I had memories that will always link me to you. You're such a dear and though we don't keep in touch like I wish we could, I know that you're my friend for life and that even death doesn't part friends in Christ. What a gift from God a good friend is - and such a friend you've always been to me. I love you, Jens!

Popular posts from this blog