When it rains... it pours

Okay so I haven't posted in 6 months and now I'm posting 2 times in one day... well I wanted this seperate.

Back in March I had asked for some ideas on encouraging others in our families and church and there were some helpful things there. So now I'm going to share some more. First of all a great book to read is "Treasures of Encouragement" by Sharon Betters (which Trish gave to me years ago). Besides stories of how different people have been encouraged in different situations, there is an appendix at the back with 50 ideas from no money to some money, no time to some time involved. There is also a calendar book that you can get with more ideas and I've found it very helpful for keeping organized (and so I know who I've written or done something for). So here are just a few of the ideas that I've used over the years that I hope will be helpful.

1. Flowers. I only know 1 person who doesn't like flowers (well she likes them but she's allergic to them so she doesn't have them inside). It is amazing how a simple bouquet can brighten a room! Either brought in person or delivered they are a special treat. (Zehrs always has a good selection of cut or potted flowers that are relatively inexpensive and last a long time - I have daisies on my desk from 2 weeks ago that are still doing beautifully).

2. A meal. I've seen lots of reciepe books that have some sort of a friendship meal where you make two at once - one for your family and one to share. Often the only time a meal is sent is when someone has a baby or is sick -but sometimes in the general everyday business of life it is nice to have a meal taken care of. This can be easy to do as well. (Zehrs - yes I like Zehrs - has disposible containers with lids that you can write on. They go well in the freezer to oven).

3. Invitations for fellowship. Though everyone is busy with schooling and work and everyday goings on, it is so nice to meet together for no particular reason (if that makes sense). Whether it is a group getting together for a campfire, or couples for a game/movie night or families for a meal don't forget to practice hospitality. Your houses don't have to be perfectly clean (I've had great fellowship with people in messy homes too :)) For a few weeks we have our church services at 1 and 6 so we have a long time in the morning. This week I've been invited to brunch with some other familes. It is a nice way to still be able to fellowship (since in between services there is only about 21/2 hours) and brunch always seems like a great adventure.

4. Random notes. When we had mail boxes at the church, the first thing I would do was look in my slot and see if there was a note there from anyone. I always smiled when I saw an envelope there... and reading a note from someone with encouraging words for my week or day was so special. Now not everyone has a mail slot at church - but everyone does have a mail box at home. It seems to be a lost art - email being so much quicker - but there is nothing like know that someone has taken the time to sit down and write a letter or note. The dollar stores, stationary stores, or the local christian bookstores have packs of blank cards that are great for sending a note out. Notes in lunch boxes (for hubbys or children), tucked under a pillow or drawer are great ways to encourage your family.
Over the years I've realized how blessed I've been to be surrounded by godly women and a great way to encourage them is to write a note. Not just a random note, but one that is specific in telling them how they've been a blessing in my life. (This also makes me realize those that I haven't spent time with and need to get out of my 'circle' of comfort.) I had tried to do this anonomously in the past but it is probably more effective when there isn't a hunt for "who is writing the notes". Doing this is also helpful in organizing how I pray for the women in the church - so that they can be more of a blessing and used in particular ways for God's glory.

5. Treats. Okay, I'll just say it... I mean chocolate. We have a great chocolate shop right around the corner from my office and they have all sorts of treats and treasures there. I don't do it very often, but it is nice to suprise someone with chocolates or anther treat that they really enjoy. (My friend who can't have flowers loves mint chocolate so that is her treat).

6. Elders/deacons/pastor. How do we encourage these brothers? I think that all of the above could apply! (and would be helpful to the wives as well). Cher mentioned in another post, that it means so much to know that people are praying for you, so let your elders and deacons and pastor know that. I didn't really realize the sacrifices that these men make in order to shepherd the church, the time that they spend away from their families. Make sure that they know you are thankful. At Riverside, once a year we have a dinner for these men and their wives (we take care of babysitting as well). It is usually a pretty fancy meal (Sarah is great at putting these together) with incredible desserts. They know that they are loved by this simples expression and with some help from the church it comes together easily. Just show them that you love and appreciate them... it isn't hard!

These are just a few of the things that I've done in the past and I want to share one secret with you. I've heard many times that folks aren't sure what they can do to encourage someone. It may sound a bit selfish, but I just think "What would encourage me?" and then do that for someone else. I'm not saying that if I give you flowers, chocolates, notes or anything else that I want you to do that for me (well it is nice...) but if I know how I would feel recieving those gifts of love then why wouldn't someone else feel the same way. It doesn't always have to be a big gesture - sometimes a hug and hello are enough! So I encourage you to do something to encourage those in your family, church and the church leaders.

Comments

Jon and Kel said…
As a recipient of many of these lovely blessings... I thank you! I thank God for you and I look to you as an example of how to bless others.

Popular posts from this blog