Last night I had an 'interesting' sleep... but I'll let you decide. First I thought I would be brave and take a picture, but I wisely didn't bring my camera so your imaginations will have to do. I went to the K-W Sleep Lab for a sleep study. We are hoping that maybe I'm doing something in my sleep to cause the headaches, so like trouper, I headed out for another test.

I arrived at 8:30 pm and was shown into a nice room. There was a double bed and a very nice Lazy Boy chair (I thought of John's study right away). I had to fill out some forms and change into my pj's then wait to be 'hooked' up. Adam and Kevin were the technicians and before I had hardly made myself comfortable on the chair they were 'sanding' and rubbing cream on my head, face, legs and neck - all the while rambling on about what each wire that was being attached to my body would monitor: heart rate, brain waves (I assured that that there was a brain in there as the MRI proved in December), muscle movement. Then came the 'flow' thingabobber. It looked like a piece of wire that had been bent to form a sort of mis-shappen circle. This was placed under my nose and over my mouth (to monitor the amount of air flow while I slept). I counted 21 wires in all! Two velcro straps were placed around me, I thought it was to keep all the wires from getting tangled - but later discovered as Kevin was tightening them around me while I was laying down, that they were to monitor how much I moved while I breathed.

As I had a headache (for which I was glad because maybe they could see what was going on while my head was pounding) I asked to be 'put to bed' at 10 pm. I had about 1 1/2 hours to read (I brought along Confessions by Augustine) and the time flew by. Kevin came to 'hook me up' to the computer and put an O2 monitor on my finger. I had to have my eyes opened, then closed, look to the left and right, up and down, hold my breath and breath quickly, and move my feet to make sure that the senors were all working properly. Kevin came in to make a few adjustments and 'tuck me in' (I couldn't move down to the end of the bed - the wires weren't long enough) and turn out the lights.

I thought I'd be able to fall asleep quickly, but sadly realized that I was in a corner room and the 2 outside walls were all window! Now, there were blinds on the windows, but still - it was light enough that I could read in there! (I almost had to laugh as I remembered other times being in a hotel room and having bright lights shinning in the room.) I'm used to sleeping in the darkness of the basement and don't like light so it took a bit to sleep. There was a camera right over the bed and I was told to wave and say hello if I needed anything, so I tried to lay very still.

Sleep did not come easy. Every time I moved my left hand there was a bright red light (from the O2 monitor) shinning in my face, and I just couldn't get comfortable knowing that they could hear and see me (and who knows what I say in my sleep!) Finally I managed to doze off for a while - I think I woke up about 10 times and each time I thought 'They must be thinking doesn't this girl sleep - no wonder she's tired!". At about 5 I woke up and could no longer sleep. So I lay there very still and wondered if I should wave and say Hello! and tell them to let me go. Then the noise started. The man in the room beside me - or perhaps it was the woman in the room on the other side or maybe even both - started snoring!! Thankfully I only had to listen to that for about 1/2 hour and Kevin came in, turned on the light and started to RIP tape off my legs, behind my ears, my finger, and tried to "loosen" some of the water soluble cement that they use to attach the wires to your head, all the while assuring me that I just had to soak my head with water for the rest of the 'cement' to come off.

As soon as I was all 'unhooked' I headed to the car - thankful that as some of my hair stood on end, some was plastered down from the 'cement' and water, sticky glue-like stuff on my face - that it was 6am and the parking lot was empty and the roads not busy. Though it has never happened, I tried to imagine what I would say if I happened to be pulled over "Really officer, I just came from a sleep study, I don't usually walk around looking like this... I don't need to walk a straight line... see I can touch my nose with my eyes closed". I was home in 1/2 hour and crawled into my nice cool and comfy bed and slept better in 1 hour than I had all night.

I did manage to get all the 'cement' out (at least I think so... I don't feel anymore and I can't see the back of my head so if it is there I hope some kind soul will tell me) and get to work on time this morning.

It will be about 5 weeks till I find out the results from last night though I'm not exactly sure what they were looking for... Even though it seems like such a drudgery to be going to Hamilton and Kitchener for all sorts of different tests and trying new medications, I am thankful that they are available - and that I don't have to have leaches on my head or holes bored in my skull (though sometimes that would be welcome). Thank you to all of you who have been praying for me - it is a wonderful thing to know that my family and friends are bringing me before the throne of Grace.

Comments

Rich and Cher said…
oh - dear Jen. I"m sorry it's been so difficult for you, but I know the Lord holds you safe in His care and knows all your needs. Keep looking to Him in faith - and I'll continue to pray for you. Love, Cher
Jennifer said…
You know, I was thinking of you while I was posting this... you would see the humor of the events of the evening - in fact I almost felt like you with all these happening. :)
Though it has been trying at times, I am so thankful for the way that the Lord has kept me through each day.
Rich and Cher said…
Yes - I'm thankful that we both are able to see the humour in much of what goes on around us - it helps us not to take ourselves too seriously! It's also great fun :) I admit I could laugh at the picture you painted of your hospital stay, b/c I could tell by your writing style that you were laughing, too :) But I'm also sad for you, Jens - I hate the thought of these headaches that have plagued you for so long. Our hope: "I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" (Rom.8:18)

Popular posts from this blog